Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Food for thought.

" We should try American foods more" exclaimed my husband. For some time it didn't boost any thoughts in my mind. But suddenly it was too loud in my head! Is my cooking that bad? I asked him straight. I wanted to know!. "Your food is just fine", came the answer. Am I to believe that...

Today we went to the public library. My daughter liked the kids area with lots of books and she loved to watch other children reading. We borrowed few board books for her and headed upstairs. There we went around and finally took a couple of books. Most interesting books we had chosen to be were on cooking. My husband had found a book called "365 easy one dish meals". Well that was fun. One-dish meals are really popular in this country. And when everybody's busy with work and life, balancing out family time has become a crucial necessity.

So I'm going to give it a try. May be my husband meant it when he said my cooking is fine. Or else I just have to assume that way. Still the traditional Sri Lankan foods will have to dominate our meals or otherwise my daughter will be lost in between two worlds of taste, wondering where she belongs.

1 comment:

Aj said...

What I've learned over the years (and Dharshi is living proof :))is that cooking is easy in America. Many ingredients are prepared halfway (cut vegetables, ready to drink beverages, packaged seasoning etc) and handy kitchen equipment are abundant. The time investment in the cooking process is short.
We've tried many Indian and Chinese dishes last few months (I've inherited some cook books :)) and they turned out excellent [ perhaps its not the authentic taste although they tasted exactly like restaurant food]. So there is nothing to worry :)